A charter for fair play in the digital age.
We believe that all music artists should control their destiny because ultimately it is their art and endeavours that create the pleasure and emotion enjoyed by so many.
This means that:
- artists should retain ultimate ownership of their music
- all agreements should be fairly conducted and transparently accounted
- rights’ holders should have a fiduciary duty of care to the originator of those rights and must always explain how any agreement may affect how their work is exploited.
This will be achieved by:
- changing artists’ approach to agreements
- changing the recorded music and technology companies’ treatment of artist rights and incomes
- up-dating laws to reflect the new music landscape.
So we will campaign for laws, regulations, business practices and policies that protect artists’ rights.
We will stand up for all artists by engaging with government, music and technology companies, and collection societies. We will argue for fair play and will expose unfair practices.
about our charter
No one knows what the structure of the music industry will look like in future. But all artists face the same challenges in today’s digital world, so we need to speak with one voice to help artists strike a new bargain with record companies, digital distributors and others. Together, the Featured Artists Coalition will stand up for all artists by engaging with government, music and technology companies, and collection societies, arguing for fair play and, where necessary, exposing unfair practices.
The FAC’s Charter was its founding document. Hundreds of artists signed up to it and to this day the charter still forms much of the underpinnings of the FAC.